Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Process Contiued

Two posts in three days? Unheard of!

Anyway! Today was a beautiful day of 8 inches of snow and no class, so you all get another post.

So! The second step! Inking the bottle. This is fundamentally different from the watch because it relies much more on the form of the bottle and on the lighting than on specific things on the bottle itself. Inking the glass bottle is something that's a little bit more fluid and allows for more flexibility because other that the outline, it's all up to me to decide how my bottle is going to look as a (fake) 3D object.

The first image is the base outline that I did prior to taking photos. You can see my pencil sketch underneath the ink where I'm giving myself an idea of where I want to draw my lines to define the form. The sketch is rather loose.

In the second image I've followed my sketch and placed outlines in the basic spots to show the thickness of the glass, as well as the base of the bottle.

The third image you can see where I've added lines to form the top of the bottle, to show it stepping up to the neck. I've also thicked the outlines to show which side of the bottle is in shadow as well as to give more dimension to the glass. Having lines all one thickness on an image makes for a very boring image.

In the fourth image I've thickened a few lines a bit more to show form, but I've also added some hatching to indicate form and shadows.

The last image is the finished product, everything hatched, shaded, and inked.

No comments: