Sunday, January 27, 2008

That's right, more centaurs!

I tell you I'm going to swear off these creatures after this project.

So, it's no suprise that I'm brininging more centaurs to the blog, but let's all pretend to be suprised and impressed, shall we?


Here we see the progression from a thumnail sketch (Take a guess at which it is. I'll give you a hint, it's not on the left.) to a larger sketch. Thumbnail sketches are used mainly to quickly get out ideas as well as to give an idea of composition. They usually take only a few seconds, a minute tops. You want a quick gestural drawing to show you what's going to be in the image. Then, later, you draw a larger version, still a quick sketch, to get more of the idea of how things are going to lay out. Once you're sure of your composition and all the elements of the picture, you do the full drawing. Or, at least, that's what my professors tell me, but I want them to show me a professional who has time to spit out 200-400 thumbnails for every project their given to work on, let alone a student. While I'm in the habit of doing thumnail sketches for my pieces, it's rare that I draw more than 15 or 20, and then I usually go straight to what will be the finished piece, whether that be an illustration I draw, or something that starts right on the computer.

Still, it's a good habit to be in, doing thumnails and many sketches, because usually the first ideas aren't the best. For this centaur project, my best ideas came from the sketches I did in the middle of the mass horde of centaurs. From about 100-150 or so out of 174.

I'm still swearing off the beasts for a good long while after this assignment is over.

No comments: